Volkswagen's latest-generation Touareg is now available in South Africa and the Uitenhage-based manufacturer has announced the specifications and pricing of its all-new Premium SUV range.
The 3rd-generation Touareg comes to market replete with advanced safety tech, connectivity, and, of course, a luxurious cabin. Compared with its predecessor, it is wider and longer (claimed luggage space has increased from 697 to 810 litres), yet it is 106 kg lighter, thanks to the clever use of aluminium and high-tech steel. There are numerous alloy wheel sizes and designs to choose from, ranging from an 18-inch to a 21-inch. There's just one engine for now. It's the 3.0 V6 TDI which offers 190 kW and 600 Nm. Power goes to all four wheels via an 8-speed transmission.
What's more, Volkswagen claims its new Touareg is one of the safest and comfortable cars in the world. For the first time, the Touareg has been equipped with night vision, which can detect pedestrians or animals in the road. The headlights are highly advanced and feature 128 LEDs in each unit. The Touareg also features trailer assist, which makes trailer maneuvres a lot easier, as well as numerous sensors and cameras for parking.
There are 2 levels of trim available for the new Volkswagen Touareg: Luxury and Executive. Luxury does what it says on the tin, whereas Executive leans towards the sportier elements.
The dual-screen setup is quite similar to what Mercedes-Benz offers in the E-Class and other contemporary high-end models. Still, it looks great.
VW Touareg Luxury specifications
- Design package (Scuff plates, trapezoidal tailpipes, decorative aluminium trim & boot edge trim)
- LED taillight clusters
- 19-inch Esperance alloy wheels
- LED Headlamps with Daytime Running Lights
- Roof rails, silver-anodised
- Multi-function leather-trimmed steering wheel, with shift paddles
- "Vienna" leather trim with rear centre armrest
- Active climate electrically adjustable front seats (with memory function and 4-way lumbar support)
- Climatic air conditioning
- Easy Open/Easy Close (Keyless Access with Easy Open sensor; Power opening and closing tailgate)
- Lights and Vision Package (including Light Assist High-Beam control)
- Adaptive Cruise Control ACC ''Stop & Go'' including speed limiter
- Front Assist (''Pre Sense'') automatic braking
- Panoramic sunroof
- "Discover Pro" navigation system
- Volkswagen Media Control with App Connect
- Electrically-folding towbar with Trailer Assist
- Parking Package: reverse-view camera with Park Assist and Park Distance Control
- Suspension Package with air suspension
- R-Line Package
- 18-inch Concordia alloy wheels
- Roof Racks: Silver anodised cross-bars with Silver-anodised roof rails
- Ambient Light Package: Additional interior lighting, illuminated door sill plates
- Ambient Light Package for R-Line: Additional interior lighting, illuminated R-Line door sill plates
- Cargo Package: Net partition, luggage compartment mat, variable luggage/load compartment floor and luggage net and roll-up sunscreen for rear side windows
- Innovision Cockpit
- Dynaudio sound system: subwoofer, effect speakers, centre speakers and amplifier
- Advanced Safety Package: Lane Assist and Side Assist with Night Vision and Head-up Display
- Climatronic in front and multi-zone controls in the rear (4-zone).
As a pure 5-seater SUV, the Touareg has heaps of room for all passengers.
VW Touareg Executive specifications
(over and above the Luxury spec stated above)
- R-Line exterior kit: R-Line design front and rear bumpers with R-Line logo on radiator grille and side fenders, R-Line design on lower door parts, stainless steel load edge protection, chrome exhaust pipes, chrome decorative trims on side windows, scuff plates in stainless steel with R-Line logo in front
- IQ Light Matrix LED headlights and LED tail lights with dynamic indicators
- Headlamp washer system
- Dynamic Chassis Control with a tyre pressure monitor system
- White ambient lighting
- Black headliner
- Pedals in brushed stainless steel
- Centre console in gloss black/ silver
- Decorative inserts in Silver Wave
- R-Line ergoComfort seats in Vienna leather trim with seat heating, 4-way adjustable lumbar support and rear centre armrest
- Leather-trimmed R-Line multi-function sports steering wheel with shift paddles
- Climatronic in front and multi-zone controls in the rear (4-zone)
- 21-inch Suzuka alloy wheels
- 4-corner air suspension with electronic shock absorption control and 4-wheel steering.
The new Touareg shares its underpinnings with the Bentley Bentayga and the Lamborghini Urus.
Volkswagen Touareg prices in South Africa
The new Touareg comes standard with a 5-year/100 000km maintenance plan, 3-year/120 000 km warranty, 12-year anti-corrosion warranty and space saver spare wheel. Service intervals are set at 15 000 km.
3.0 V6 TDI 190kW (Luxury) R999 800
3.0 V6 TDI 190kW (Executive) R1 088 200
The promotional clip for the new Touareg was filmed in Cape Town and surrounds, check it out: