The second iteration of the Volvo S60 Polestar has arrived in South Africa and, unlike its first arrival (at the end of 2015), there will be more of these fast Swedes to go around.
What's not to like about a fast Volvo? We reviewed the previous-generation Volvo S60 Polestar (of which only 28 units were allocated to our market) and generally liked it. A few months on and there's a new version, but this time 45 units will be availed to customers; they're likely to get snapped up quickly too.
The big changes occur under the bonnet, where the 3.0-litre turbocharged 6-cylinder motor has been replaced by the new-generation Drive-E engine. This new powerplant is a turbo- and supercharged 4-cylinder unit with peak outputs of 270 kW and 470 Nm. Power is directed to all 4 wheels through a new 8-speed transmission and Volvo SA claims its new Polestar is faster than the outgoing model: it is claimed to catapult to 100 kph from standstill in just 4.7 seconds and max out at 250 kph.
Perhaps the biggest improvement comes from the fuel consumption where Volvo claims 7.8 L/100 km on the combined cycle and its emissions are down to 179 g/km. Other technical changes include new lightweight alloy wheels, an upgraded power-steering setup and beefed-up new brakes.
“This car is properly quick,” says Niels Möller, Chief Operating Officer at Polestar. “But it’s more than that. It combines Polestar’s 20 years of racing pedigree with Volvo’s inherent pragmatism and engineering heritage. This is a very fast car that you can use every day of the year.” The ace in the Volvo S60 Polestar's sleeve is the level of specification on the vehicle. There are no options and what you see is what you get.
Standard features include:
- revised 20-inch Polestar alloy wheels
- automatic bi-xenon headlights with Active Bending and Active High Beam (including anti-dazzle for other road users, a feature usually restricted to LED headlights)
- auto-dimming mirrors inside and out
- front and rear parking sensors with a rear-view camera
- CleanZone automatic dual-zone climate control with rear seat ventilation and remote pre-conditioning
- an 8-speaker Harman/Kardon multi-media infotainment system with USB, Bluetooth and Internet compatibility, and voice control
- satellite navigation
- heated leather/alcantara steering wheel
- leather/alcantara upholstery with heated front and rear seats
- cyan contrast stitching
- genuine carbon fibre "floating centre stack"
- active TFT digital instrument cluster
- gear-shift paddles
- keyless access and starting
- an active twin-pipe Polestar exhaust system
- adaptive cruise control with a toggle switch to cruise control
Being a Volvo, the S60 Polestar features comprehensive a level of safety technology. There are 6 airbags, ABS, EBA, BAS, HAS, ESC and IntelliSafe, which besides City Safety (AEB) includes the likes of Lane Departure Warning, Pedestrian Detection, Blind Spot Information System, Cross Traffic Alert, Road Sign Information and a Driver Alert system.
Volvo S60 Polestar price in South Africa
The new Volvo S60 Polestar retails in South Africa for a recommended R749 500 which continues to include a 5-year/ 100 000 km full vehicle warranty, a 5-year/ 100 000 km full maintenance plan, laminated glass and Tracker Connect.
Watch the new Volvo S60 Polestar in action