Volkswagen has expanded its top-selling Golf range. The Golf SV (or Sportsvan as it is known in Europe) has arrived in South Africa and features the same tech from the award-winning Golf hatchback range, but packaged in a larger and more practical body.
In terms of sizing, the Volkswagen Golf SV is 83mm longer than a normal Golf. The wheelbase is longer too, and the extra 48mm helps increase interior space. Factor in an increased width and height (8mm and 126mm respectively) and you're looking at something quite spacious.
It's all about practicality here and the rear seats can be moved backwards and forwards by to 180 mm, to increase either passenger or luggage space. The boot capacity is up to 500 litres in comparison to the normal Golf's 380 litres and if you fold the seats down, 1 520 litres of space becomes accessible to you.
The cabin is super practical. Between the driver and front passenger, a centre armrest with an integrated storage compartment and two cupholders is included as standard. Other practical storage bins are located on the upper dashboard and in the door panels (a 1.5-litre bottle can be stowed in each front door and a 1.0-litre bottle in each rear door). The Golf SV (Comfortline only) has underseat drawers for the front seats as well as pockets and folding tables on the backrests of the front seats.
Two Equipment Lines for Golf SVThe Golf SV will only be offered in two equipment lines, Trendline and Comfortline.
Trendline (1.2 TSI 81 kW)
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) with HBA (Hydraulic Brake Assist)
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control) including EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) and ASR (Traction Control)
- XDS electronic differential lock
- Automatic Post-Collision Braking System
- Driver Alert system
- Driver’s and front passenger’s airbags with passenger’s airbag deactivation switch
- Curtain airbag system, for front and rear passengers
- Front seat side impact airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Driver’s and front passenger’s whiplash-optimised head restraints
- Isofix child seat preparation (for two rear child seats)
- Leather-trimmed three spoke multifunction steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake grip
- Electronic parking brake with auto hold function
- Front centre armrest with storage compartment
- Driver’s and front passenger’s seat height adjustment
- Height and reach adjustable steering wheel
- Split folding rear seat backrest 60:40
- Multifunction computer with visual gear change recommendation for improved fuel consumption
- Composition Colour system with 5.0-inch colour touchscreen
- Front and rear electric windows
- ‘Climatic’ manual air conditioning
- Illuminated, cooled and lockable glovebox
- Four load lashing points in luggage compartment
- Battery regeneration and Stop/Start system
- ‘Lyon’ alloy wheels with 195/65 R15 tyres
- Full size alloy spare wheel
- Black roof rails
Comfortline (1.4 TSI 92 kW and 2.0 TDI 81 kW)Comfortline derivatives add the following to the standard features of the Trendline:
- Cruise control
- Black front air intake and radiator grille with chrome trimmed inserts
- Luggage compartment storage box; load-through provision
- Driver’s and front passenger’s under seat drawers
- Rear centre armrest with cupholders
- Automatic coming and leaving home lighting function, plus dusk sensor and automatic driving lights
- Rain sensor and automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror
- ‘Toronto’ alloy wheels with 205/55 R16 tyres
- Front fog lights with static cornering function
- Chrome trim on rotary light switch and air vents surround
- Front seats with height and lumbar adjustment
- Ambient interior lighting
- Silver anodised roof rails
Engines for VW Golf SVThe Volkswagen Golf SV has three engines to choose from. The petrol engines are a 1.2-litre TSI 81 kW and 1.4-litre TSI with 92 kW. The diesel engine is a 2.0-litre TDI with 81 kW. Both petrol engines come fitted with BlueMotion Technology with Stop/Start and battery regeneration systems.
1.2-litre TSI 81 kW
Starting off the Golf SV model range is the 1.2 TSI with 81 kW. This turbo engine has 175 Nm and is offered with a six-speed manual gearbox. Its top speed is 192 kph and has a sprint of 0-100 kph reached in 10.7 seconds. The combined fuel consumption claim is 5.1L/100km.
1.4-litre TSI 92 kW
The next engine is the award-winning 1.4-litre TSI with 92 kW and 200 Nm. This engine has six-speed manual or optional seven-speed DSG gearbox gives it a top speed of 200kph and 0 to 100 kph claimed time of 9.9 seconds. Economy is rated at 5.4L/100km (5.2 DSG).
2.0-litre TDI 81 kW
The diesel engine for the Volkswagen Golf SV offers up 81 kW and 250 Nm. Customers have the choice of either a five-speed manual transmission or seven-speed DSG. 0-100 kph is dispatched in 10.5 seconds and it'll go onto a top speed of 190 kph. Combined fuel economy is 4.6L/100km (4.6 for DSG) which is good.
Volkswagen Golf SV Price in South AfricaThe Golf SV model range comes standard with a 5 year/90 000km Service Plan, 3 year/120 000km warranty and a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty. Service Interval is 15 000km.
|VW Golf SV 1.2 TSI with BlueMotion Technlogy Trendline (81 kW) 6-speed Manual||R292 500|
|VW Golf SV 1.4 TSI with BlueMotion Technlogy Comfortline (92 kW) 6-speed Manual||R325 200|
|VW Golf SV 1.4 TSI with BlueMotion Technlogy Comfortline (92 kW) 7-speed DSG||R340 700|
|VW Golf SV 2.0 TDI Comfortline (81 kW) 5-speed Manual||R343 700|
|VW Golf SV 2.0 TDI Comfortline (81 kW) 7-speed DSG||R359 200|