Ford has announced at the 2015 Geneva Auto Show that there'll be a number of changes to the next-generation EcoSport.
The Ford EcoSport has been a popular model in South Africa and owners have loved its hatchback characteristics packaged into a little crossover body. Made in India, the cute-looking EcoSport offers practicality, a range of decent engines as well as great value for money.
What's New for 2015 EcoSport?For the first time customers will be able to order the Ford EcoSport without a rear-mounted spare wheel. On the interior side, there's a restyled instrument cluster with chrome surround, light dimming function, and chrome tips for window switches.
The suspension gains a revised rear twist beam, as well as revised spring and damper rates. There's also a 10mm drop in ride height as well as retuned traction/stability control. Finally, the power steering system has been tweaked. A Winter Pack has also been added and this includes a heated windscreen, heated mirrors and heated front seats.
Noise, vibration and harshness levels have also been addressed and there's now thicker sound deadening materials in the doors and dashboard, as well as tighter seals around the pedals. Options for the Ford EcoSport now include satnav and a reverse camera.
“Ford EcoSport is already popular with customers in Europe who are looking for a flexible, stylish, and economical compact SUV,” said Joe Bakaj, vice president, Product Development, Ford of Europe. “This range of enhancements – including an EcoSport that is now available without the rear-mounted wheel – makes EcoSport an even more compelling choice as part of our growing SUV range.”
Pictured here is the Ford EcoSport S, which comes with the above mentioned tweaks. It has a distinctive Deep Impact blue colour as well as a black roof and unique 17-inch alloy wheels. To round off this sporty model, there's also a rear diffuser and privacy glass.
Here's a list of all the Ford EcoSport enhancements:
The full list of EcoSport enhancements includes:
- Spare wheel optional, with a tyre mobility kit in place of the spare as the standard offering
- Colour 4-inch display
- Charcoal black lower instrument panel, centre console and door boards
- Partial leather seats standard for Titanium models
- Significant Noise, Vibration and Harshness reworking via enhanced sound package
- Significant dynamics upgrade – with revisions to springs, dampers, spring aids, steering gear, rear axle twist beam, Electronic Stability Programme settings and steering assistance profiles
- Increased torque band in lower gears provides more available grunt for both EcoBoost and TDCi diesel
- Instruments can be dimmed, have chrome-surround rings, window-lifter switches have chrome tabs
- Heated windscreen, heated mirrors, and heated seats available as a combined “Winter Pack” which also adds rear seat ducting at floor level to improve comfort in the rear seat in cold conditions
- Privacy glass optional
- The handbrake is relocated to improve accessibility
- Powertrains are upgraded to EU6.1 emission standard, with the diesel gaining a bit more power.